Directors of Residences, Directors of Estates, Estate Directors, and/or Chief of Staff are similar in nature and tend to have a more administrative role within an Estate that has or is establishing a Single Family Office (SFO). These professionals’ primary oversight is the administrative tasks related to ensuring your personal assets are in top shape and ready to use at any moment. Think of this person as the Chief Operations Officer of the Family Office. They spend very little time in the actual residences and have the responsibility and authority to manage multiple residences and all staff.
This professional is either highly experienced with the management of multiple luxury service environments and often also has a 4-year degree, real estate license, complex construction management background, or hospitality experience as an Area Director or General Manager. These professionals are a direct conduit for the Principal on all things household, often referred to as the Gate Keeper or Mouth Piece for the Principal. While they are rarely seen in the home, they are always ready to jump in to help the team.
Common Skills this Professional brings to the table are:
- Contract negotiations
- Real Estate acquisitions
- Human Resources
- Business Management
- Legal Experience
- Investment Experience
Director of Residences responsibilities can include:
- New land and home acquisitions, as well as yachts, planes, art, and other purchases.
- Collaborating with principal and senior team members to determine and prioritize household strategies.
- Oversee development and the regular review of household manuals and staff procedure checklists for each residence.
- Travel on a periodic basis between properties for hands-on oversight of residences.
- Their focus will be more of an analytical approach, researching and reporting all functionality, cost structures, negotiations, and future growth.
- Ensure that each residence has a consistent feel, meaning each staff member understands the Principals’ preferences.
- Will make sure that each household is consistently stocked with specific foods, toiletries, and clothing items.
- Understand the security needs of each residence and ensure that proper security systems and protocols are in place.
They work with the “in the trenches” Household & Estate Managers to:
- Schedule a weekly meeting with the Principals to monitor their feedback and personal preferences; communicate those wishes to appropriate staff members.
- Establish a project list and a calendar for each residence.
- Establish and execute policies and protocols for contractors and vendors that protect the interests of the Principal.
- Develop/maintain household inventory schedules including art, wine, china, silver, and linen. Work with staff to ensure these items are properly cared for and stored. Liaise with the family office as needed to provide accurate inventory lists for insurance vendors.
If you are looking to hire a Director of Residences or would like to talk to us about our other services please call us at (214) 605-7286. You can find out more about our other services by following the links below.
If you are looking for a position, please check out our EMS Domestics job board for a complete list of our open positions.