Schedule: approx. 40 hrs/ week, schedule TBD based on caregiver preferences
Compensation: $73,000/year, 20 days PTO, plus Paid Holidays
West Lake Hills family look for a caregiver for an 81-year-old man with mid-stage Alzheimer’s. Client is looking for a friendly and personable male caregiver with exceptional social intelligence. Exact hours flexible for the right candidate but looking for someone to be a companion, friend and caregiver to client living in small house adjacent to a larger family home. Ideal candidate can be an enthusiastic and fun companion, but can also appreciate quiet moments of reflection and work when needed.
- Experience with adults with Alzheimer’s or dementia
- Ability to reliably administer oral medications
- Basic cooking and food preparation skills
- Ability to assist with caretaking and grooming tasks when they become necessary (toileting, showering, grooming, etc.)
- Ability to work with family to determine schedule and needs of client
- Ability to seamlessly fit into a harmonious work environment.
- Strong communicator, both written and verbal
- Socially intelligent and skilled at reading other’s moods and needs
- Good driving record
- Personable and friendly
- Able to read social situations and adapt with ease
DUTIES & KEY SUCCESS FACTORS
- Preparing meals for elderly client
- Doing basic daily housekeeping to maintain small home (dishes, laundry, straightening up after meals, etc.)
- Taking client on daily hikes, local adventures or playing mellow games of racquetball, badminton, ping pong, etc.
- Assisting with any toileting, dressing, grooming tasks when that becomes necessary.
- Administering morning and evening oral medications.
- Helping to provide entertainment and activities around the house when needed.
- Working with the larger family unit to develop a daily schedule that includes frequent time with adult children and grandchildren.
- Providing conversation and a listening ear when chatting is desired.
- Providing a quiet co-working environment when client prefers that.
- Flexibility and a relaxed attitude towards changing preferences and needs.
- Willingness to spend part/all of summer 2022 in New Hampshire. Minimal travel after that.
- OTHER CONSIDERATIONS
The ideal candidate will be open to overnights in a private bedroom at the house. If a live-in situation is desired, clients are open to renting an apartment for employee to stay in during days off.
While the ideal candidate will fill all the above requirements and success factors, the families are willing to provide training resources to a candidate that fills 90% and demonstrates a positive outlook and strong work ethic.
The client’s daughter and family live in the adjacent home and will be frequent visitors and companions to client. Client’s spouse will sometimes be present but requires no caretaking herself.
- Ability to lift 40 pounds and help 140 lbs. adult in and out of tub, shower and on/off toilet.
- Frequent bending, stooping, and stretching
- Ability to negotiate a multi-story house with stairs many times a day
- Ability to use a ladder up to 6’