The Chief of Staff is very experienced, savvy, and expert/resourceful in all aspects and possibilities of household and staff management. Usually have a background in corporate and private service, as well as impressive educational credentials.
Directors of Residences, Directors of Estates, Estate Directors, and/or Chief of Staff are similar in nature and tend to have a more administrative role within an Estate that has or is establishing a Single Family Office (SFO). These professionals’ primary oversight is the staff and their development, ensuring that the staff is aware of the expectations of the estate and they have all the training, tools, and support needed to deliver the highest standards of service with the resources they have. Think of this person as the Chief Services Officer of the Family Office. A Chief of Staff will spend a little more time with the staff than the Director of Residences as they meet with them regularly, and perform quarterly and annual reviews. The Chief of Staff will also establish the labor budget for the Estate and coordinate all hiring and firing of the staff.
This professional is either highly experienced with the management of multiple luxury service environments and often also has a 4-year degree, extensive experience delivering service in a luxury environment, or hospitality experience as a General Manager, Director of Customer Service, or Director of Operations. These professionals are a direct conduit for the Principal on all things household, often referred to as the Gate Keeper or Mouth Piece for the Principal. While they are rarely seen in the home, they are always ready to jump in to help the team.
Common Skills this Professional brings to the table are:
- Contract Negotiations
- Human Resources
- Strong Leadership Experience or Training
- Business Management
Chief of Staff responsibilities can include:
- Establishing Benefits Programs
- Establishing Labor Budgets
- Hiring, Firing, and Development of Staff
- Collaborating with principal and senior team members to determine and prioritize household strategies
- Oversee development and the regular review of household manuals and staff procedure checklists for each residence
- Travel on a periodic basis between properties for hands-on oversight of residences and staff training
- Their focus will be more of an analytical approach, researching and reporting all functionality, cost structures, negotiations, and future growth.
- Ensure that each employee completely understands the Principals preferences.
- Understand the security needs of each residence and ensure that proper security systems and protocols are in place
They work with the “in the trenches” Household & Estate Managers to:
- Schedule a weekly meeting with the Principals to monitor their feedback and personal preferences; communicate those wishes to appropriate staff members
- Establish a project list and a calendar for each residence
- Establish and execute policies and protocols for contractors and vendors that protect the interests of the Principal.
- Develop/maintain household inventory schedules including art, wine, china, silver, and linen. Work with staff to ensure these items are properly cared for and stored. Liaise with the family office as needed to provide accurate inventory lists for insurance vendors.
If you are looking to hire a Director of Residences or would like to talk to us about our other services please call us at (214) 605-7286. You can find out more about our other services by following the links below.
If you are looking for a position, please check out our EMS Domestics job board for a complete list of our open positions.